Steve Maxwell Vintage and Custom Drums is Chicago and Manhattan's only Vintage and Custom Drum Shop and Museum. We have an extensive inventory that is constantly changing so keep checking back for new and unique vintage drums and cymbals. The links to your left will guide you through the web site. Please email us if you would like to sell any of your vintage drum gear or would like to discuss an item you see on this web site. We also carry new cymbals, heads, drums, sticks, books, and hardware. Let us know if we can help you in any way with your new and custom drum needs.
REGULAR HOURS: NY Store: Mon-Fri 11-7. Sat. 11-6. Sun Closed. Glendale Heights Store: Fri 11-6, Sat 10-5, other times by appointment. Our Illinois shop has relocated to a new, larger facility . Details HERE. Call us on our new number 630-237-4997. Come see us at 2000 Bloomingdale Rd Unit #110. Glendale Heights, IL. 60139. Fridays 11-6. Sat 10-5. Other hours by appointment.
OUR VIDEO CHANNEL: HERE
OUR PODCAST CHANNEL: HERE
And, our podcast is now available on iTunes!!
See the latest on Steve's Drums Facts. We talk about the differences in shells, edges and sound quality of the 50s-70s USA drums. HERE.
Steve takes you on a tour of the NY shop. HERE. We are now your exclusive midtown NYC location for the Tama Star series sets!!! Details HERE.
- 12/5: NEW PIC OF THE DAY: "The Masterpiece" HERE. See Steve's DRUMMER NATION interview. HERE. Steve's Drum Facts. A brief piece on the ride cymbal beat. HERE.
- 12/5: UPDATE 10/13 RE: CYMBAL LATHING comes to our Chicagoland store as our "Genesis by Maxwell" line of re-lathed vintage cymbals! See details! HERE. Time to make room for lots more sets coming in, so, we have a page of "specials". Check it out: HERE.
- 12/7 INVENTORY UPDATE: 2:00pm. SEE LINE-BY-LINE LISTING BELOW:
- Ludwig keystone 13/16/22 psych red with rail and cymbal L arm bracket. Kit is en route. Call Steve at 630-865-6849. Radio King kit rare 13/16/20 WMP. Fabulous set. HERE. Scope out what we have incoming HERE. Leedy 1950 drum set. HERE. Amazing Gretsch candy apple red bop kit. HERE. Gretsch RB silver sparkle 12/14/20/5.5 only $2600. HERE. . Yamaha Golden Temple 40th anniv kit. Rare. HERE.
- Gretsch 70s Jasper shell 12-14-18: HERE
- Ludwig Jazzette kit NEW Classic Maple with free snare: HERE.
- Ludwig Down Beat kit champagne sparkle. HERE. Camco Chanute! HERE.
- Killer Tama Star maple. HERE. Rare size engraved Black Beauty! HERE. Nice Dyna! HERE. CLEAN 60s Supra. HERE. Fantastic WMP Radio King kit 13/16/24/5.5 WMP!. HERE.
- RINGO! Ludwig 60s oyster black 13/16/22 and 5.5x14 matching Jazz Fest! HERE. Ludwig 60s oyster black Pioneer 5.5x14! HERE.
- More Ludwig special vintage build kits with FREE snare, unique sizes and finishes! HERE. HERE. Ludwig 9x13, 16x16, 12x22, 6.5x14 Rose Marine Pearl! HERE. INSANE! Look at this kit! HERE. Craviotto maple 12-14-20 HERE. Gretsch USA rare ginger ale glass bop kit with video. HERE. Craviotto kit mahogany with wood hoops: HERE. CURLY MAPLE Gretsch USA Jazz Legends kit with video! HERE. Gretsch USA CURLY MAPLE bop kit. HERE. Gorgeous 60s Ludwig full Downbeat kit. HERE. Look at what's INCOMING HERE. Incredible kit HERE. Ludwig Rose Marine Pearl! HERE.
NEW! Rogers cymbal L arm and swivo tilter repro!! HERE. In stock:
NEW! Steve's Video Selections page. HERE.
UPDATE: NEW! Introducting the limited edition Craviotto/Gladstone snares! ORDER NOW. INFO HERE. Video and pics HERE
Gretsch repro 4 point butt plate! HERE. More parts just added for Ludwig and Slingerland. Vintage Reproduction Parts! order now! HERE. Video info page on the entire Craviotto line! 22 videos for you to choose from! HERE.
May 8, 2015: Our Maxwell Drums Nesting Kits reviewed in the June issue of Modern Drummer. Great review! See and buy the kits HERE. Or, call us at 212-730-8138 and place an order for one! READ THE MODERN DRUMMER MAXWELL NESTING KIT REVIEW HERE.
Latest Videos: Steve demos a wood dyna: HERE. Steve on Louie Bellson's kit: HERE. Steve on WFL vintage kit: HERE. Steve on new Ludwig Legacy Mahogany: HERE. Steve on new Premier bop kit: HERE. Steve on Craviotto Center Stage kit: HERE.
Jan 15th: AND NOW..... New from Ludwig USA! The 50s era mahogany shell is back!!! Legacy Mahogany!! See it HERE.
Jan 15th: ARE YOU READY!!!! NEW PRODUCTS FROM CRAVIOTTO FOR 2015!! The new Craviotto solid shell $3600 Center Stage 3pc drum set HERE. And, the new $649 solid maple Johnny C series snares HERE. INCREDIBLE DEALS!!! And, see Steve's overview of the 2015 Craviotto mid line product offerings HERE.
Jan 7: Read Steve's comments about DW acquiring owned and licensed KMC brands, including Gretsch. HERE.
Jan 8, 2015:
See our Maxwell Drums line re-launch for our new snares! Taking orders now! And check out this pic of the 6.5!!
9/10: Steve's brand new personal website is up and running as of right now! This personal website will be my portal for communicating lots of information to all of you. It's called "The Lounge" and you can see it at www.stevemaxwelldrums.com or simply click HERE.
Updates and Specials:
Our Gretsch Jazz Legends series is here. 3 sets in stock! Same set up as Elvin and Art Blakey with 12x16 bass drum. HERE.
Anyone out there wondering if they should buy a Gretsch USA jazz kit? We'll settle that for you. Just click HERE.
Here we go for 2014! Steve's new Gretsch USA "Jazz Legends" series for 2014 is here and he has just ordered a massive amount of other Gretsch USA Custom and Brooklyn for delivery in 2014. Call to reserve your set and see it all HERE.
Link over to our new PODCAST channel. We'll be posting lots of podcasts for your listening enjoyment. Many podcasts are up: a) Billy Gladstone. b) Vintage Gretsch drums. c) Vintage Ludwig drums. d) Charlie Donnelly, vintage drum guru and more. More coming soon!
9/17/13: Billy Gladstone drum set news!HERE.
Naperville (Chicago-land): 630-778-8060. Hours: 11-6 Fri. 10-5 Sat. Other hours by appointment. Mgr. Steve Maxwell Jr. email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Manhattan Shop:212-730-8138. Mgr. Jess Birch email: email@example.com Hours: Mon-Fri 11-7 and Sat. 11-6
VIDEO CHANNEL: See all of our videos here: youtube.com/stevemaxwelldrums We've got over 130 videos.
LATEST PRODUCTS: cymbals, drum sets, snares, all items STEVE'S PICKS 06/05: Here ALL THINGS GRETSCH: sets, snares
ALL CRAVIOTTO: Here VINTAGE & NEW: sets, snares CYMBALS VINTAGE & NEW: vintage, other used, new
SEE HOW WE SUPPORT MUSIC VENUES: Here
NEWS AND INFORMATION SECTION:
3/17/12: Now, Maxwell Drums brings you even MORE custom options for your Craviotto drum set! Click Here:
12/15/11: THIS IS INCREDIBLE! The rarest set I have ever seen! Far more rare than Top Hat and Cane. One of a kind, Leedy Autograph of the Stars over WMP! The only example ever to surface, and it is a 71 YR OLD FULL, COMPLETE KIT FROM THE ORIGINAL OWNER'S FAMILY. UNREAL! Click Here.
8/23/11: NEW! Craviotto "hybrid bearing edges" are here!! See our exclusive video of this great new innovation from Craviotto: Click Here.
NEWS! We have a new Video Program section of our site. It is managed through MaxWeb Productions, which is the video production division of our business. Our website is evolving into a mini media station and the new video section is a big part of the website evolution initiative. We'll have product specific videos, interviews, instructional videos, special interest and more. Check this section out frequently. Updates will be made often. Click Here.
LATEST PRODUCTS: Click Here Items are coming in FAST. Lots of vintage up here already, and LOTS more going in daily with some very cool recent additions!
EBAY auctions. Some special deals! Click Here
STEVE'S FEATURED PRODUCTS: Click Here
STEVE'S SPECIAL SALE ITEMS: Click Here
STEVE'S CELEBRITY AND ULTRA RARE DRUM GALLERY: Click Here
STEVE'S VINTAGE TIPS: Click Here
MORE FUN STUFF BELOW:
Please always feel free to call Steve's cell directly at 630-865-6849630-865-6849 ANYTIME at all. We definitely want to communicate with you. The highest quality service is our hallmark, and we take this very seriously. Steve
Click Here for all of the Maxwell News and Latest Updates.
RECORDING STUDIOS: WE CAN HELP YOU! CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO.