March 27, 2017:
So, what exactly does "cymbal-centric" mean? Here's the idea:
Our NYC shop has been in midtown Manhattan for almost ten years now. Hard to believe, but time flies! Over the course of almost ten years we've seen a lot of trends and have enjoyed visting with all of our wonderful customers. And, during this time we've seen, without fail, the never ending demand that exists for cymbals. As we all know, in NYC space is at a premium (for EVERYONE, not just retail shops), and while you can only store so many drums and drum sets everyone always seems to make room for more cymbals. And, given that cymbals are a critical part of our musical "voice", we're always looking for more ways to express our musical ideas. Maybe it's a vintage K. Istanbul, or a vintage Spizzichino, or a cool old A. Zildjian. Or, maybe it's some of the great new cymbals we always see from Zildjian, Istanbul Agop, Sabian, and so many others.
Given that jazz players are a big part of our customer base we always want to be able to provide those players with the largest selection of the types and sizes that are most key to them. For products such as K Cons, A. Avedis, Istanbul Agop, Sabian Artisan, old As, old Ks, etc, we want you to be able to select from a large variety.
So, with this in mind you will see our NY store starting a migration to what I call a more "cymbal-centric" model. We are going to devote even more space to cymbals than ever before. We'll still have great new snares and kits, and very cool vintage sets and snares as well, but we're going to place more emphasis on cymbals than ever before. This will evolve over the next several months, but this is what you can expect to be seeing:
- New Zildjian. All the great models we currently stock, plus special limited runs that we will have Zildjian build for us. We'll have our annual "K Day" each year as well. In 2016 our K Day event was the largest single day event that Zildjian ever experienced in terms of sales. Some of those great prototypes from the 2016 K Day will be finding their way into our regular product mix.
- New Istanbul Agop, Sabian, Paiste. We'll continue with the select lines we stock from these great companies.
- V Classic Cymbals: Our shops will be the exclusive US dealer for this terrific brand of Turkish cymbals, made from a B25 alloy rather than the traditional B20. See more details HERE.
- Spizz by Universal Percussion: Our shops will be the exclusive NYC and Chicagoland dealers for Universal Percussion's new Spizz line of Turkish cymbals. These are also B25 alloy and promise to be extremely versatile. Stock is on its way, so more information will be posted soon.
- Vintage: We will continue to be THE resource for your vintage cymbal needs. Old As, old Ks, vintage Spizzichino, Paiste 602s and everything else that our customer base longs for.
- Re-lathed "Genesis by Maxwell" cymbals. Our cymbal re-lathing business is located in our Illinois shop. We will be producing more of these and sending them to NY so that our NY based customers can also experience these cymbals first hand. Details HERE.
There will be more as things unfold, but rest assured, if you want great cymbals we are going to make your shopping trip easy and fun! If you can't get to the shop you'll have great sound files and excellent photos, and, if you can come down we guarantee you an in-store experience that is unlike any other!
More soon. Stay Tuned!